Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Green Cleaners. Could it be this easy? We'll see.

As you know, I am constantly trying to find (a.k.a. worrying about) ways to make my daughter's world safe and healthy. I seem to obsess over chemical products and her breathing them in to her little lungs. I mean, how could those little lungs handle any but breathing in clean, fresh air with all that climbing and dancing she does? Not to mention chasing our poor little dogs.

I found an article in my latest issue of Parents magazine to be interesting. I had heard in the past from other Moms in passing that you could use vinegar to clean. I haven't tried it yet though. In this issue of Parents ("Cleanup Time", Parents, August 2008, p.87), they give the following recipes using baking soda, distilled vinegar, olive oil, and lemon for Eco-Friendly Cleaners:

"All-Purpose

Mix a solution of one part vinegar and one part water in a spray bottle. Good on glass countertops, and toilets. Don't use on marble.

Laundry

Add 1/2 cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle to soften clothing and cut down on odors. (need that for the dog bed!)

Bathroom

Mix water and baking soda to form a paste to scrub fixtures and tile. You can also sprinkle baking soda in the toilet bowl, add a splash of vinegar to make it fizz, and then clean with a toilet brush."

I haven't tried any of these YET. I plan to give them try and test their effectiveness. Try it and let me know what you think....

greennews@greenergrassnotes.com

Jeanne R.
Greener Grass Notes
www.greenergrassnotes.com

2 comments:

Kristen said...

My mom used the vinegar and water solution for cleaning windows when I was growing up. It works very well. These are probably all much cheaper solutions, too!!

Jeanne R said...

Kristen,

I agree and cheaper is always a plus!